From "The Advertiser", 28th July 1930
Mr. George Haines, of North Adelaide, who died at the age of 86, was born at Devizes, Wiltshire.
He came to South Australia with his parents in 1850, at the age of six. He lived near Walkerville, and then at Teatree Gully. After nine years the family moved to Kapunda, where they resided for 19 years. His next move was to the Mundoora district where, as one of the pioneer settlers, he carried on farming for 29 years. During these pioneering days he carted stock water for 16 miles from the River Broughton and drinking water from Crystal Brook, a distance of 20 miles.
He was a member of the Agricultural Bureau from its inception. He was a trustee of the Methodist Church, where he rendered service as superintendent of the Sunday-school and leader of the singing in the church. In 1906 he disposed of his farm and retired to Adelaide, where he resided until his death.
Mr. Haines was married twice. His first wife was Miss Johanna Bawden, who died in 1890, leaving a family of three sons and nine daughters, who are—Messrs. H. Haines, Booleroo Centre: W. M. Haines. Cowell: T. D. Haines. Nelshaby: Mesdames A. M. Gardiner, Fullarton: F. L. Shearer. Mundoora: T. A. Wilson, Cowell: F. Longbottom. Kooringa: H. G. Langley, Mypolonga: H. E. Edmonds, Pygery; P. J. Deen, Ovingham: G. A. Davis. Wentworth: and Miss E. A. Haines. North Adelaide. There are 49 grandchildren and 10 great-grand- children.
In 1897 Mr. Haines married Miss Elizabeth Levett, of Portland, Victoria, who survives him.